Numerous fruits are still unfamiliar or weird to us due to the thousands of different fruit species that exist in the planet. Here is a list of 25 unusual fruits from around the world that, believe it or not, are quite edible and that you may have never seen before.
Palmyra fruit, a specialty of Southeast Asia
2. West Virginia Banana tastes like a mixture of banana and mango. It is also called ‘Pawpaw American Custard Apple’ and ‘Indiana Banana’
3. Feijoa or sometimes known as Guavasteen or Pineapple Guava is rich in vitamin C
4. Saskatoon berries, this product of Canada could be eaten raw or turned into fruit juice
5. Green gooseberies are native to Europe, the Caucasus, and northern Africa. It is good to fight inflammation, prevent peptic ulcer and aid in digestion
6. Pequi fruit, a product of Brazil that is really popular among the locals and it tastes like a combination between a citrus fruit and cheese!
7. Salak fruit or also known as snake fruit due to its scaly skin. It tastes fresh and sweet
8. Naranjilla fruit is native in northwestern South America and it is a very delicate plant which requires extensive care from strong winds and direct sunlight. It is very sour and its juice is often used in a drink called lulada
9. Totara is a product of New Zealand and it is sweet to taste
10. Tamarind fruit is a tropical fruit which can be easily found in Southeast Asia
11. Wood apple can be a relief in many diseases like constipation, indigestion, peptic ulcer, and respiratory problems. It can also boost the immune system and fights off bacterial and viral infections
12. Purple-coloured peach
13. This apple is one in a million
14. Red Banana. When ripe, these bananas’ flesh will turn into cream or light pink
15. Pink Pearl Apple. The flesh of the apple is purple in colour!
16. Sweet granadilla or passion fruit is rich in vitamin C
17. Palmyra Fruit
18. Lanzones the size is the same as longans but tastes like grapefruit
19. Marang fruit
20. White strawberries taste similar to pineapples. It is a rare breed of strawberries and can cost up to $10 each
21. Square shaped watermelons are popular in Japan but they are very expensive!
22. Yellow-coloured dragon fruit
23. Chocolate Vine Fruit is a product of Japan and South Korea
24. Hairy Red Pittosporum looks scary
25. Lakoochas looks like a cannibalistic plant but it is actually nice to eat
Have you ever eaten any of these fruits? Given that these fruits are not typically found in stores, you should definitely give them a try if you can.
Please share this amazing story with your friends and family on Facebook.